Re: HI and KPI assignment for Nodes monitored by SiteScope (535 Views)
Esteemed Contributor
tibornad
Message 1 of 7 (547 Views)
Accepted Solution

HI and KPI assignment for Nodes monitored by SiteScope

I am trying to make an effort in order to understand how the assignment of HIs and KPI works for nodes which are monitored by HP SiteScope.

right now i am reading the Application Administration Guide for BSM 9.23 (Part 1 - Service Health) in order to get a better understanding. My main issue at this point is to understand how HI and KPIs are being assigned to Node (Windows/Unix) CI instances. 

From the guide i understand that there are three different ways for this:

- Manuall assignment:

Tthrough the "CI Indicators" UI in Service Health. I've got this one covered i think since i have used it in the past.

- Propagation:

Ffrom the child CI. So here the confusion starts for me. In order to influence a parent CI (of type Node) is it necessarry for the child CI (SiteScope Monitor) to be included in the View???

i have relaized thanks to explanations in here that in BSM 9.x there is no longer a trippled defined for the monitored_by link between the CI type SiteScope Monitor and Node. So as long as the Node has a relationship with the SiteScope Monitor by a monitored_by link this does not mean that the status is propagated from the child to the parent.

So as soon as the SiteScope monitor is added to the view under the Node it will propagate HIs and KPIs to the parent? Will it propagate both of them? Is there a way to influence this propagation other than removing certain HIs and KPIs from CI Indicators manually?

- Assignment:

Based on the HIs and KPIs assignemnt rules HIs and KPIs are assigned when the CI instance is created in RTSM. But how does the dynamic assignment for SiteScope HIs work? And is it supposed to add HIs to the Node? I always thought that the HI are being assinged to the Monitoring CI (SiteScope monitor) and the status is then propagated upwards by the use of KPIs.

All our server are monitored by SiteScope. And we do not show and SiteScope Monitors in our BSM views but we are only showing the Node (Windows/Unix) CIs in the views and then other parts of the Business Application coming from BPM.
 Also we do only add HIs and KPIs manually in very very specifc cases. So this leaves on the option of the assignment open. But this seems to fail in some cases since i have realized that on certain server we are having KPIs like "Legacy System" and not on others. Even though the same monitors are being deployed via SiteScope template.

So anyone who can help me to better understand this is very much welcome

HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 2 of 7 (535 Views)

Re: HI and KPI assignment for Nodes monitored by SiteScope

here are some answers to your questions:

Q: In order to influence a parent CI (of type Node) is it necessarry for the child CI (SiteScope Monitor) to be included in the View???

A: not at all. the View has nothing to do with status propagation or calculation (unless you are using LIV, which is handled differently). in any case, since monitors are not propagating to parent CI, it is recommended NOT to include them in views since it might cause confusion.

Q: So as soon as the SiteScope monitor is added to the view under the Node it will propagate HIs and KPIs to the parent? Will it propagate both of them? Is there a way to influence this propagation other than removing certain HIs and KPIs from CI Indicators manually?

A: as soon as the SiS monitor is created in RTSM (and not in a view) it will assign HIs to the parent CI. the parent CI is configured in SiS monitor's properties under HP Integration Settings. this is also the section to define which HIs will be assigned to the parent CI based on SiS measurements. once the HI is created on the parent, that will trigger creation of KPIs on the parent. They are not propagating from the monitor!!

Q: And is it supposed to add HIs to the Node?

A: SiS has dynamic HI assignment which means it will assign HIs to parent CI (Node in your example) based on the SiS monitor CI (with monitored_by link). which HIs will be created - that is configured in the SiS monitor or in SAM Admin > Metrics and Indicators mapping.

I hope this clarifies.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Esteemed Contributor
tibornad
Message 3 of 7 (504 Views)

hello Asaf

as always thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my questions! your last post has already clarified quite some things on my end. if you don't mind please let me get into a few more details:

A: not at all. the View has nothing to do with status propagation or calculation (unless you are using LIV, which is handled differently). in any case, since monitors are not propagating to parent CI, it is recommended NOT to include them in views since it might cause confusion.

Q: So is this a general statement that Monitors (speaking SiteScope Monitor CI type here) are not reporting to parent CIs? Obviouls because of the missing link in the impact model (tripplet). Also how are local impact views different from this point?

A: as soon as the SiS monitor is created in RTSM (and not in a view) it will assign HIs to the parent CI. the parent CI is configured in SiS monitor's properties under HP Integration Settings. this is also the section to define which HIs will be assigned to the parent CI based on SiS measurements. once the HI is created on the parent, that will trigger creation of KPIs on the parent. They are not propagating from the monitor!!

Q: In SiteScope we are mostly using the default setting for the Topology Setting in the CI Type field which is Default(Computer). So once the monitor is created the HIs will be created on the Monitor itself as well as the CI Type specified in the Integration Settings? Correct? And the creation of the KPI is then based on the fact which HIs have been assigned? So as long as we are pointing to the correct CI type from withing SiteScope we should get whatever HIs we have defined there meaning for example "Memory Load" or "Legacy System"?

A: SiS has dynamic HI assignment which means it will assign HIs to parent CI (Node in your example) based on the SiS monitor CI (with monitored_by link). which HIs will be created - that is configured in the SiS monitor or in SAM Admin > Metrics and Indicators mapping.

Q: Means the mapping is indication which SIS metric will be translated into which BSM HI. Then as long as there is an monitored_by link from the SiteScope Monitor to the parent (Node in this case) the assignment will assign the same HI to the parent?

Sorry if these question might sound repetitive, but i really would like to nail this one down and understand how it works.

Thanks for the help

HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 4 of 7 (497 Views)

hi,

here are the answers to your questions in the order you posted them:

1) correct, monitors do not report to parent CIs. also please note that SiS is the only data collector that still reports monitors... LIV are the same in the aspect of "monitors do not propagate to parent CI". they are different in which CIs are part of the impact calculation by that CIs which are not in the view can still impact the "parent CI" which is in the view, but this refers ONLY to children with impact link, so the monitor is not relevant for this point.

2) the HI on the monitor is ONLY Legacy System. the HIs on the Computer will be assigned as well based on the configuration in the HP Integration Settings (BTW, together with Thresholds definitions). KPIs will be assigned based on the created HIs.

3) almost correct, it is not enough to have the metric mapping to HI, you also need to have threshold definition to that metric.

Esteemed Contributor
tibornad
Message 5 of 7 (493 Views)

1). So in a local impact view as long as a children has an impact link to the parent, it will influence the calculation regardless of the fact if it's part of the view or not. But this is again irrelevant in terms of monitor CIs.

2). Got that!

3). Got that one too.

Many thanks again for your great explanations!

HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 6 of 7 (489 Views)

1) semi-correct. in LIV only children which are inside the view will have impact on the parent CI. if a CI doesn't have ANY child in the view, and it doesn't have any HI, we don't want it to be "No Data" and in this case (only) we will take into the LIV calculation the children from outside the view.
This is explained in the SH_Admin_BP which was released with 9.23.
Esteemed Contributor
tibornad
Message 7 of 7 (462 Views)

again many thanks for all your explanation and your patience :-)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.