Re: Getting started with SiteScope Newbie (359 Views)
Super Advisor
Graham Van der vaart_1
Message 1 of 4 (381 Views)

Getting started with SiteScope Newbie

Hi,

I'm brand new to SiteScope and just got it installed and ready for use.

Can somebody  give me the ABC's of monitoring a few remote servers...

I created a few remote Windows servers and the connectivity tested okay.

I then created a few monitors (cpu, disk, memory etc) and assigned in the monitor config to execute on one of the Windows remote servers that I  had created. The monitors executed okay.

Now I want to go the next level and create a monitor that can be deployed to multiple Windows remote servers. In other words I dont want to have to create individual monitors for each and every remote server.

I suppose that I should somehow use templates for this.

Without reading an entire series of pdf's can somebody provide a simple step by step instruction list on how to achieve this.

I read somewhere about using %%host%% (where is this setup?) but I then don't know how to call a variable for credentials (our environment has three domains and I therefore use 3 credentials for our three Windows domains). Or will I have to for example create three separate monitors for CPU (one per domain)?

Kind Regards

Graham

HP Expert
PatWest
Message 2 of 4 (359 Views)

Re: Getting started with SiteScope Newbie

Sit back and relax, while watching some of these Sitescope movies:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sitescope+templates

Occasional Advisor
chanson
Message 3 of 4 (344 Views)

Here's a quick and dirty way to create a SiteScope template from scratch:

Prior to creating a template you should set up your remote server credentials in SiteScope's credential preferences so that you don’t have to enter credential variables in your template.

1. Create a Template Container:
a. In the Templates section of SIS, right-click on the SiteScope root icon (looks like a globe) and select New > Template Container.
b. In the New Template Container dialog box, name your Template Container.

2. Create Templates in the container:
a. Right-click on the Template Container you just created and select New > Template.
b. In the New Template dialog box, name your Template.

3. Create Variables to use in your Template (this can be done as you go or you can create all of them at once but you will, at minimum, need variables for hostnames and/or IP addresses as well as for user credentials if you are NOT using a pre-determined credential in the credential preferences)
a. Right-click on your Template and select New > Variable
b. In the New Variable dialog box, enter the name of the variable (WITHOUT any '%' signs which you will use to invoke it later)
c. Set the Display order in template – start with the number zero and work your way up. This number will determine what column your variable is pulling from when using a CSV to deploy the template.

4. Create Windows or Unix remote servers in the Templates:
a. Right-click on a Template and select New > New Microsoft Windows remote server --or-- New UNIX remote server
b. For the name, use the %%host_name_variable%% you determined in step 3.
c. In the description field, add a note that states when it was deployed by using system parameters, like: "Deployed from template on $$DATE$$ at $$TIME$$"
d. Use either the %%host_name_variable%% or an %%ip_address_variable%% in the server field, which you determined in step 3.
e. For credentials, use the "Select predefined credentials" radio button and type in the name of the appropriate credential profile if you have set this up or use %%username%% and %%password%% variables also configured in step 3.
NOTE: use separate credential profiles for Windows and Unix remote servers even if the username/password are the exact same!! This is because the credential profile binds itself to the protocol used to connect (WMI/SSH) and will fail to connect w/ more than one protocol.
e. In the Method field, type in the method used to connect to the remote server (be careful when typing SSH vs. ssh because if you type SSH when deploying your template, the method field on the remote servers page will change to rlogin in SiteScope version 11.10, not sure if this is fixed in other versions).

5. To create Groups in the Templates (unless you have set SiteScope to allow Monitors directly attached to a Template entity in the settings you must make at least one group to nest Monitors into):
a. Right-click on a Template and select New > Group.
b. In the New Group dialog box, name your Group.

6. Create Monitors in the Groups:
a. Start adding monitors.
b. If many of your Monitors will be using the same frequency setting you can add it as a variable as well. Keep in mind that variables can be added for many of the common settings shared between different types of Monitors.
c. Make sure to check the "Use already configured template remote under current template" box so that each of your Monitor Templates will use the Remote Server you configured in step 4.

7. Create Alerts & Thresholds for your monitors.

8. Recommend saving template on your local client after completed; Right click on the Template Container or Template and select Export and save your file where you want it.

Super Advisor
Graham Van der vaart_1
Message 4 of 4 (331 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your assistance. I will give it an attempt this afternoon.

Kind Regards

Graham

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.