Re: BSM-OMW KPI assignment (762 Views)
Honored Contributor
parkar
Message 1 of 6 (786 Views)

BSM-OMW KPI assignment

Hi Experts,

We have BSM 9.10 integrated with OMW 9 for topology and event integrations

We are monitoring windows server ( disk space & interface ) in omw and topology is populated in bsm

Now when i am analysing it has been noticed that four KPI are assigned to windows server by default

1.Network availabilty

2.Network performance

3.system availability

4.system performance

Question is how come by default above 4 kpi assigned to windows server,Attaching here screenshot detailed

Also what kpi normally gets assigned while monitoring topology from bsm for omw?

Dimitr,krishna/any help appreciated..

Cheers!

Nvr Blame a day in ur life....... Good day gives "happiness" & Bad day gives "experience" ......
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 2 of 6 (783 Views)

Re: BSM-OMW KPI assignment

For CIs coming to RTSM from OM topology integration there is no such thing as default KPIs. In the OM->BSM integration scenario (actually in any integration scenario that is based on events) KPIs are assigned to a CI if and only if there are events resolved to that CI or any underlying CIs (in this case KPIs are propogated from child CIs). Every event is supposed to have ETI that turns into HI on BSM side (in case it's a health contributing ETI). So if HI in its turn is configured to contribute to a certain KPI, that KPI will appear.

In other words, KPI only appear if there are events coming with corresponding ETIs/HIs. You won't see any KPIs till such events arrive into BSM.

Honored Contributor
parkar
Message 3 of 6 (781 Views)

thnks dimitry understnding that kpi status is caculated based on hi and child kpis

but how come system availability kpi depends on diskusagelevel,Root disk usage level and host disk ulization

I am attaching here detailed screenshot

Can you please elaborate/clear my doubt ?

Is there any document that particular KPI value is caculated on X many HI ??

Cheers!

Nvr Blame a day in ur life....... Good day gives "happiness" & Bad day gives "experience" ......
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 4 of 6 (773 Views)

KPI shows an aggregate health of a CI, whereas an HI shows more granular/specific health state. This is a fundamental architectural concept of BSM 9 platform.

The way how a specific KPI of a specific HI is calculated can be seen in your screenshot. Pay attention to "Calculated Based On" field. The value of the field can be one of the following:

HIs and child KPIs

Only HIs

Only child KPIs

HIs, if none then child KPIs

Honored Contributor
parkar
Message 5 of 6 (765 Views)

Thanks dimitry for the response

but still i am having the doubt

consider Server ABC in which i am monitoring file system C and interface

now when there is event on omi i see the disk usage level assgined to KPI system availability and system Performace.

Question is how come same HI assigned to two different KPI with same calculation rule ( calcluated based on HI and child KPI)

So due to this on dashboard we are getting same status for file system with two different KPI..how come it is possible?

Please suggest

Cheers!

HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 6 of 6 (762 Views)

I don't know why you see the same HI affecting both System Availability and System Performance KPIs. The system I work with (BSM 9.10) shows different HIs for System Availability and System Performance KPIs when I check KPI Assignment rules for Computer CIT (Admin->Service Health->Assignments->KPI Assignments).  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.