Re: BPM Communication Error: Cannot send the message since reached the shared memory buffer max size (1179 Views)
Honored Contributor
Gino Castoldi_2
Message 1 of 10 (1,241 Views)
Accepted Solution

BPM Communication Error: Cannot send the message since reached the shared memory buffer max size

We are running BPM version 8.02 with a total of 30 Vugen scripts. System: W2K3 SP2 x86 6GB memory.

BPM stopped working and we received this error message. I rebooted the BPM server and it is up and running now and it is now reporting to BAC.

This is the error message in the <BPM>\workspace\topas_agent_ctrl.log file:
"ERROR: Communication Error: Cannot send the message since reached the shared memory buffer max size."

-Gino

Frequent Advisor
Tarif Louah
Message 2 of 10 (1,230 Views)

Re: BPM Communication Error: Cannot send the message since reached the shared memory buffer max size

too many active scripts try this resolution http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM202928 

Is BPM Configured to run as a specific user? 

HTH/Tarif

Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 3 of 10 (1,215 Views)

Re: BPM Communication Error: Cannot send the message since reached the shared memory buffer max size

How many CPU cores are there on BPM machine? Is this machine is hosting any other major applications or databases?

This is certainly hardware resource management issue from BPM. If this is recurring, I suggest you to upgrade to BPM 9.03 which has improved resource allocation & scheduling component.

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Honored Contributor
Gino Castoldi_2
Message 4 of 10 (1,188 Views)

Tarif -

We are running only 30 Vugen scripts at a time so it does not seem like a lot of overhead on the system.

BPM is not configured to run as a specific user.

Raj -

There are two cores running on the machine Note: the server is running VMware.

The machine is not hosting any other applications or databases, just BPM.

I agree that upgrading the application would be a good idea. The server is a x86 W2K3 server and I think that upgrading to a x64-bit W2K8 server would be really helpful.

-Gino

Frequent Advisor
DannyWang
Message 5 of 10 (1,179 Views)

how many total transactions you have?

Danny

Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 6 of 10 (1,171 Views)

Hi Gino,

BPM on VM Machine is not recommended at all as it cannot simulate a real user and cannot provide a holistic performance of the application.

But in case that there is no choice, you can configure it with dedicated memory rather than shared memory. Few other detailed suggestions on better performance management in VM is in atached doc.

Regards,
Raj

Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Honored Contributor
Gino Castoldi_2
Message 7 of 10 (1,153 Views)

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the information and the document.

-Gino

Honored Contributor
Gino Castoldi_2
Message 8 of 10 (1,149 Views)

Hi Danny,

We are running a total of 89 transactions on our BPM version 8.02 server. (W2K3 SP2 VM x86 6GB RAM 2CPUs)

-Gino

Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 9 of 10 (1,127 Views)

As per the HP best practise, maximum number of profiles (more than 25 to 30 scripts) should not be more than 20/24 in a BPM. You also need to know the mode the scripts are running. I got this input from HP Saas team sometime back.

Like concurrent, stepped and others. I am not sure what version of BSM are you using. If I am right, you can get the mode info if its BSM.

For your knowledge improvement, I suggest you to read BPM admin guide. It has mode related info.

--Sujith

Close the thread if your issue is resolved to make the thread meaningful and complete. Do show gratitude to people who helped you by assigning points.
Honored Contributor
Rajasekhar Gundu
Message 10 of 10 (1,112 Views)

Sujith,

That's really wrong information you have received from HP SaaS. There is no such limitation (even as per Best practices) based on number of profile. We have BPM machines running with around 100 profiles & still BPM performing at its best.

HP BPM (even if we consider latest version) performance depends more on the BPM host resources & ability to use those resources by BPM.

Also, as you might have already experienced, everything a HP support person says, speaks for himself but does not represent the knowledge of HP most of the time. So we should not blindly believe in any statement without a technical reasoning :) Am I right?

Regards,
Raj

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.