Re: BAC 7.5 to BSM 9.2 or Create BSM 9.2 (619 Views)
Advisor
RahulGupta
Message 1 of 10 (629 Views)

BAC 7.5 to BSM 9.2 or Create BSM 9.2

We have BAC 7.5 and want BSM 9.2. There are two cases. Assume we have 64 bit OS.

Case 1: Upgrade  7.5 --> 7.55 -->  8.0 --> 8.01 -->  8.04 --> 8.07  -->9.1. 

Case 2 : Create BSM 9.2 and migrate whole monitoing

As i understand whole rework is required in both cases like BPM installation, Scripting with new version, RUM, sitescope upgradation as per BSM 9.2 compatibility. 

Whichever migration scenario you are suggesting, please help us understanding what the “Benefits and Concerns” are for each of them.

I  suggest Case 2 is good and require less donwtime.

Regards,

Rahul

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 2 of 10 (619 Views)

Re: BAC 7.5 to BSM 9.2 or Create BSM 9.2

If you need historic data from your current env. then you dont have much choice - you have to upgrade.
If you are willing to drop the data and to reconfigure your BSM then a fresh installation is better, mainly since there were so many changes between BAC7 and BAC8 as well BAC8 and BSM9. A fresh installation will allow you to implement you monitoring and align it with BSM9 concepts.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
ParagC
Message 3 of 10 (615 Views)

I think upgrade is the only option in this case if you want to retain all your BAC 7.5 data.

Also, if this is a live environment with users looking into your reports you have to go for staging update(separate sets of servers and database) and the BPMs to be redirected to new environment after complete migration.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RahulGupta
Message 4 of 10 (609 Views)

Thanks Asaf and paragC. yes i understand that upgrade is the option to use current historical data.

ParagC:- Yes you are correct. this is live BAC 7.5 and users looking into reports. You  asked me to create new BSM 9.2 setup with and connect to new database. Now how can i use historical database by redircting BPM to new BSM? I will not run upgrade utility, if i create new BSM 9.2 with new databases. Please provide more  information about same. Current BAC is with 32 bit OS and i will create BSM set up with new 64 bit OS.

Regards,

Rahul 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Syed Uzair D Hashmi
Message 5 of 10 (598 Views)

Hello Rahul,

Considering the suggestions given above I think you need to classify what Business expectations you have.

From retention of Historical data, I'm sure your Organization don't want to continue with Veteran details that might be years and years old.

What's your Data Retention (Data purging policy) & what level of Data Aggregration you follow in your existing environment?

Also, upgrade does provide retention of data but it comes with its own challenges & data corruption that might have been for years from BAC and DB perspective.

Whereas a fresh installation gives an opportunity to define a Architecture more aligned with ITIL framework & be on par with Industry expectations.

Ideally there are ocean of changes from 7.x version to 9.x version but BPM creation is little small activity.

If you can afford a fresh installation on relatively new HW then it'll be a nice approach as HW where 7.x could be pretty old.

More important, we have experienced this upgrade activity from 8.07 to 9.13 and it took us just 234hrs (approx 10days) :-).

The effort going from 7.x to 9.x would be little higher in timelines & fresh installation can fill the gap.

Thanks,

Uzair

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RahulGupta
Message 6 of 10 (594 Views)

Thanks to All. I will go ahead with fresh installation as all of you suggested and  same i thought. One quick question:

BSM 9.2 is not supported on below platform as per hp_man_BSM_920_SysReqs_SupportMatrixes_pdf. But BSM 9.1 support below also. is this correct?

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2 or later (64 bit)
➤ Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 or later (64 bit)
➤ Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition, including all
service packs (64 bit)
➤ Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition, including all
service packs (64 bit)

We are thinking to have latest version of BSM. please let me know?

Regards,

Rahul

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
ParagC
Message 7 of 10 (590 Views)

Hi Rahul,

You can go for fresh install in a new setup, however it depends how many profiles, alerts etc. you need to recreate in the new setup. If that is a huge number and I would still recommend for a staging upgrade so that you will still have the same framework in the new setup, only you have to redirect the BPMs to the new setup.

Regrading upgrading the database in staging if you go through the upgrade steps that will explain this. You have to have a copy of BAc7.5 database as the satging DB and use upgrade wizard from staging GW and DP to upgrade the DB to BSM 9.2 version.

Yes the upgrade can take some time, but as long as the users continue to use the old set up while you are upgrading there won't be any monitoring blackout. Only after complete upgrade when you switchover the BPMs to the new setup you can advise the users to use the new setup.

I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
RahulGupta
Message 8 of 10 (536 Views)

BSM 9.2 versus RTSM

I am confused about RTSM. I am  preparing BSM 9.2 setup with four server (two servers for both GW/DPS). can BSM works without RTSM? RTSM needs to be installed in other server or in any BSM server? RTSM software is available seperately. or this is UCMDB.... put more pic on it.

I do understand that BSM 9.2 has no concept of external ucmdb.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Asaf Shechter
Message 9 of 10 (532 Views)

Re: BSM 9.2 versus RTSM

RTSM is part of BSM and not seperate product.

If you need more info on RTSM i suggest reading RTSM Best Practices doc.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
LSantana
Message 10 of 10 (518 Views)

BSM 9.x still have support for Windows 2003, but BSM 9.2x don't have support any more. For better results, use Windows 2008 Server in both cases if you can.
Operation Manager, Network Node Manager, SiteScope and BSM - AIS Certificated Professional
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation