Re: 9.10 Upgrade - Database does not support native partitioning (556 Views)
Frequent Advisor
L Pennington
Message 1 of 14 (665 Views)

9.10 Upgrade - Database does not support native partitioning

Upgrading from 9.01 to 9.10 failed at the database upgrade stage.

SQL Server 2005 Developer SP4 (is on a 1 box test system).

The management and profile database both errored saying they don't support native partitioning.

I have had to go for a clean installation for now and create new databases, which worked ok.

Any reason for the above error?

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 2 of 14 (657 Views)

Re: 9.10 Upgrade - Database does not support native partitioning

For BSM you must use SQL Server Enterprise edition that includes native partitioning feature.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
L Pennington
Message 3 of 14 (654 Views)

From what I have read,developer edition is same as enterprise apart from licensing as it is meant for test environment only.
It let's you do a fresh install, so is the upgrade wizard hard coded to only accept Enterprise edition?
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 4 of 14 (650 Views)

I guess it checks the edition only. If it's not Enterprise - BSM is not happy. Anyway BSM is not supported on non-Enterprise SQL Server editions.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Ben.Shirley
Message 5 of 14 (631 Views)

We went through the upgrade in our test 8.07 environment, and it failed on the profile db upgrade. The message was quite random but the only thing I could think of was that our db is SQL 2008 Server R2 Enterprise. I know this isn't supported officially but it was working in 8.07 fine, does it not work at all in 9.1?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
ctruong
Message 6 of 14 (566 Views)

In our learning environment, I am doing an in-place upgrade with SQL enterprise 2008 sp2 (evaluation edition) and getting the "The following databases DON'T support native partitioning" Do we have to enable native partition somewhere? I believe it is enable by default? 

Our BAC 8.07 environment was also on SQL Enterprise 2008 sp2 (evaluation edition) and in the Partitioning and purging manager the enterprise template  is activate so BAC recognized our SQL server as Enterprise but BSM does not?

Any advice?

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 7 of 14 (560 Views)

I would check with your SQL Server DBA if this "evaluation edition" includes database partitioning functionality.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
ctruong
Message 8 of 14 (556 Views)

He said it should have all functionallity that the real edition have. There is no restriction on the "evaluation edition". I've looked in the pmanager.log and there are partitioning activity (current BAC 8.07) and there doesnt seem to be any error

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
ctruong
Message 9 of 14 (545 Views)

So we were wrong...eval edition was in fact the culprit....as soon as we switch to a a non-eval edition upgrade worked like a charm :)......i wonder what the different is? i consulted several sql forum and they assure me that evaluation edition have full parition capabilities. Maybe it have to do with how bsm detect sql version and does not activate native partitioning unless it is a enterprise edition?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
drenze
Message 10 of 14 (427 Views)

Not what I wanted to hear. I'm also having this issue in a fresh 9.20 install...we're using Developer edition in our test environment til we can get a few new boxes built for our Prod environment.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 11 of 14 (419 Views)

SQL Server Developer edition won't work either. I hit this issue myself at one of my customers. BSM was working but data from data collectors were not inserted into DB.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
drenze
Message 12 of 14 (417 Views)

Dmitry -

Thank you very much. That's exactly what is happening in my test environment right now. I assume once you installed Enterprise & (probably) recreated the databases everything was both hunky and dory?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dmitry Shevchenko
Message 13 of 14 (411 Views)

Yep, everything started working fine once SQL Server has been upgraded to Enterprise edition. We didn't even need to recreate any databases.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
drenze
Message 14 of 14 (403 Views)

[ Edited ]

Rock & roll.

Thanks again, Dmitry!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation