Re: Changes to the Printing Categories (2496 Views)
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 1 of 10 (2,653 Views)

Changes to the Printing Categories

[ Edited ]

Based on user input and feedback, we are making the navigation in our community more streamlined, and we will be making the following changes to the "Printing and Digital Imaging: Small and Medium Business" and "Printing and Digital Imaging: Enterprise" categories in the coming weeks:

1. The Printing and Digital Imaging: Small and Medium Business category will become the "one" Printing and Digital Imaging category, and be renamed appropriately (dropping the Small and Medium Business portion from its name).

2. The categories and boards within the Printing and Digital Imaging: Enterprise category will be moved into the other Printing and Digital Imaging category in the following manner:

Category Board Action
Print Servers & Peripheral Sharing Installation and Management Software Merge with Print Servers, Network Storage & Web Jetadmin
  Print Servers Merge with Print Servers, Network Storage & Web Jetadmin
  Jetsend Solutions Merge with Print Servers, Network Storage & Web Jetadmin
  HP Output Management Merge with Print Servers, Network Storage & Web Jetadmin

Multifunction, Copiers, & Fax Products Black & White Multifunction Merge with Multifunction and All-in-One - Officejet, Mopier
  Color Multifunction Merge with Multifunction and All-in-One - Officejet, Mopier
  Fax Products Merge with Fax and Copiers
  Mopiers Merge with Multifunction and All-in-One - Officejet, Mopier
  Personal Copiers Merge with Fax and Copiers
  General Merge with Multifunction and All-in-One - Officejet, Mopier

Digital imaging Capshare Merge with Scanners
  Digital Senders Move to Printing and Digital Imaging
  Photo Systems Move to Printing and Digital Imaging
  General Move to Printing and Digital Imaging, change to read-only

Printers Black and White Move to Printing and Digital Imaging, change to read-only
  Color Move to Printing and Digital Imaging, change to read-only
  Photo Merge with Photosmart Products
  Large Format Merge with Printers - Designjet
  Software Move to Printing and Digital Imaging
  HP CloudPrint Enterprise Edition Delete
  ePrint Enterprise Merge with HP ePrint and Share

(For the boards being set to read-only, this is to maintain the knowledge within those legacy boards, but to keep new discussions within more specific, relevant boards).

These changes are expected to take place in December or early January - please feel free to post any comments, questions, or other feedback regarding this change to this thread.

I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Stephan.
Message 2 of 10 (2,639 Views)

Re: Changes to the Printing Categories

[ Edited ]

You know what is coming, don't you?

Ok, Cash Cow first ... what about the rest?

For example what about Software, which is a hell of a mess?

What about all the suggestions from here: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/New-Forums-Site-Map/td-p/4811659 and many other topics?

Why no naming convention? If I got it correct, you move boards to a subforum position and set the board to read only, why? 

Some changes does not make sense - Mopier are copier & fax as well, but get to Multifunction and all in one, Capshare moves to Scanners, but Digital Sender which is a fax and scanner gets moved to Printing and Digital Imaging ...

Why not just a simple view?

f.e.

- Printing & Imaging

| - - - General

| - - -    | - - - Printer

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Laser

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Ink

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Large Format

| - - -    | - - - Imaging

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Photo

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Scanning

| - - -    | - - - Multifunction

| - - -    | - - -    | - - -  All-In-One

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Mopier

| - - -    | - - - Software, Management & Peripheral

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Jetdirect, Jetadmin

Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 3 of 10 (2,633 Views)

Stephan - thanks for your repose and interest in the announcement - let me try to answer your questions:

"For example what about Software, which is a hell of a mess?" - There is a separate project, kicking off next week, to address the software hierarchy.

"What about all the suggestions from here: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Su​ggestions/New-Forums-Site-Map/td-p/4811659 and many other topics?" - we're be addressing as many things as we can.  Some items require different resources and endeavors - the Printing category happens to be one that got selected to be worked on next.

"Why no naming convention? If I got it correct, you move boards to a subforum position and set the board to read only, why?" - there are only a couple of boards being "retired" (set to read-only), and that is meant to drive traffic into the other, existing boards.  For example, if we leave Color *and* the various technology-based printer boards (Laser, Ink, etc.), there's no *one* obvious place to post questions on Color printers.  Do they go to the Color board, or the technology-based board?  But - we don't want to lose the knowledge from the Color board, so it will be retained and set to read-only.  Regarding the naming convention, moving everything out of the soon-to-be-removed "Printing and Digital Imaging: Enterprise" category is simply the first step - once everything is in one  Printing area, we can certainly make additional changes to the way the boards are named/nested.

"Mopier are copier & fax as well, but get to Multifunction and all in one" - the new home for these posts also has Mopiers in it's name (Multifunction and All-in-One - Officejet, Mopier)

"Capshare moves to Scanners" - being a hand-held scanner, that seemed like the best place.  We're not going to leave a separate Capshare board in place as there's very little traffic in that area now - only one new thread was created in the current Capshare board during 2011.

"Digital Sender which is a fax and scanner gets moved to Printing and Digital Imaging " - Digital Senders is a very active board, so we decided to simply move it into the other Printing area, and not merge/combine it with something else.

Hope that gives you a feel for why we're making these changes - let me know if you still have questions or concerns...

I work for HP.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 10 (2,628 Views)

>Large Format Move to Printing and Digital Imaging

I would recommend that this should not just be moved.  It should be merged into Designjet.

Possibly: Designjet and Large format

Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 5 of 10 (2,618 Views)

Dennis Handly wrote:

>Large Format Move to Printing and Digital Imaging

I would recommend that this should not just be moved.  It should be merged into Designjet.

Possibly: Designjet and Large format

I work for HP.
Occasional Advisor
blouis79
Message 6 of 10 (2,496 Views)

Stephan. wrote:

Why not just a simple view?

f.e.

- Printing & Imaging

| - - - General

| - - -    | - - - Printer

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Laser

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Ink

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Large Format

| - - -    | - - - Imaging

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Photo

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Scanning

| - - -    | - - - Multifunction

| - - -    | - - -    | - - -  All-In-One

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Mopier

| - - -    | - - - Software, Management & Peripheral

| - - -    | - - -    | - - - Jetdirect, Jetadmin

The simple view makes sense - but I want to see a real product as a leaf on the tree.

I have a CP4025dn. I would be happy to see a forum for "CP4025-4525 series" where I can happily subscribe to posts and see problems others are having with that model and tips/solutions. I don't want to come to the forum and search for CP4025, since that won't even find me all the issues with the model range which have different model numbers (eg CP4025, CP4025d, CP4025DN, CP4525, etc). Forums need to permit posts in leaves and branches of the tree whre appropriate.

Happy to see color printers down a separate branch from monochrome since color printing is an order of magnitude more complex than monochrome.

Presently, I get

Community Home>Printing and Digital Imaging: Enterprise>Printers>Color

which is not so good, as I want to see my model and most of the posts under color are on irrelevant machinery to me.

I would prefer

Home>Printing>Color>Laser>CP4025-4525 series

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 10 (2,492 Views)

[ Edited ]

>but I want to see a real product as a leaf on the tree.

The main purpose of the change was to have fewer boards and make it easier to understand where to post your topics.

>Forums need to permit posts in leaves and branches of the tree where appropriate.

Hmm, this may make it even harder for the new users to understand and more places to look.

>Happy to see color printers down a separate branch from monochrome

This difference will now be eliminated.

>I want to see my model and most of the posts under color are on irrelevant machinery to me.

There is forum or google search.  :-)

If a user is going check for existing topics, they are probably going to use google to search first and then they won't care where they find it.

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 10 (2,428 Views)

I don't know if it is too late to stop this and redo it correctly?

I see zillions of new topics in the new board locations.  But they have the old dates but are sorted at the top!

This is useless for any user that just happened to add a topic today!

If you are going to move massive amount of topics, you need to keep the old dates and make sure it sorts by those old dates.  (You can mark them as New, I'll just "Mark all as Read", after looking at the recent ones.)

Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 9 of 10 (2,423 Views)

Dennis - this is a temporary issue due to the way messages are being moved - we're actually in the middle of the process right now, and when it's complete the boards *will* be sorted chronologically, including all of the moved messages.

Bear with us while things are still getting settled - most of the moves should be happening during off-hours, and I've been told to expect it to be completed by tomorrow (Wednesday) evening.

I work for HP.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 10 of 10 (2,417 Views)

>when it's complete the boards *will* be sorted chronologically,

Yes, thanks, I just noticed that today.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.