Changes to the Desktop/Workstation Categories (2083 Views)
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 1 of 6 (2,083 Views)

Changes to the Desktop/Workstation Categories

[ Edited ]

Similar to what was recently completed for our Printing and Digital Imaging categories, in an effort towards making the navigation in our community more streamlined, and we will be making the following changes to the "Desktops and Workstations: Small and Medium Business" and "Desktops and Workstations: Enterprise" categories in the coming weeks:

1. The Desktops and Workstations: Small and Medium Business category will become the "one" Desktops and Workstations category, and be renamed appropriately (dropping the Small and Medium Business portion from its name).

2. The boards within the Desktops and Workstations: Enterprise category will be moved into the go-forward Desktops and Workstations category in the following manner:

Board Action
general Move to Desktops and Workstations, change to read-only*
hp-ux based Merge with Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize
Linux based Move to Desktops and Workstations, change to read-only*
Windows based Move to Desktops and Workstations, change to read-only*
workstations - EVO, professional Merge with Business PCs - Deskpro, EVO, Professional
Itanium-based Merge with Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize

(* - For the boards being set to read-only, this is to maintain the knowledge within those legacy boards, but to keep new discussions within more specific, relevant boards).

These changes are expected to take place in early February - please feel free to post any comments, questions, or other feedback regarding this change to this thread.

I work for HP.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 6 (2,058 Views)

Re: Changes to the Desktop/Workstation Categories

[ Edited ]

I would recommend some slight changes:

>hp-ux based     Move to Desktops and Workstations, rename to "HP-UX and Liniux based Workstations"

(It helps if you spell Linux properly.  :-)

These are completely different and don't go together and they will get into fights.  Also, HP doesn't make HP-UX ones anymore but still recent questions.

>Linux based

This should be frozen and users must use the correct model in the existing Desktops and Workstations: Small and Medium Business boards

>Itanium-based     Merge with Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize

This should be combined with the HP-UX based workstations.  :-)

Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 3 of 6 (2,043 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dennis - thanks for the catch on my typo!

Let me run your suggestions by my partners in the respective organizations - they certainly make sense to me.  Thanks for the input.

I work for HP.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 4 of 6 (2,032 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dennis Handly wrote:

>Itanium-based     Merge with Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize

This should be combined with the HP-UX based workstations.  :-)

Dennis - just so I'm clear on your suggestion - are you saying your preference would be for both the "hp-ux based" and "Itanium-based" Enterprise boards be combined with the existing "Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize" board?  I think with the amount of (recent) posts in those two Enterprise boards, that makes sense - but I wanted to be sure I'm not misrepresenting your point.

I work for HP.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 5 of 6 (2,010 Views)

>are you saying your preference would be for both the "hp-ux based" and "Itanium-based" Enterprise boards be combined with the existing "Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize" board?

Yes.  Both the PA-RISC and Itanium workstations get very little new questions.  (Especially since they stopped being sold years ago.)  The only possible organization problem is that there seems to be some x86 workstations that also were named "Visualize"?

>I think with the amount of (recent) posts in those two Enterprise boards, that makes sense

Yes.

Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 6 of 6 (2,003 Views)

Thanks for the reply Dennis!
I work for HP.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.